Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Expectations from an Instructional Designer - Checklist

I'm not loaded with much work today, which means time and space for a new thinking process. What was spinning in my mind (sometime back) was about all kinds of expectations that my industry has from me or the instructional designers (IDs) gang, basically.

Carrying this incomplete thinking process, I utilized my today's time to create a checklist based on my earlier blog post (7 key questions every e-learning company should ask to Instructional Designers).

Being part of such an evolving and dynamic industry, we, IDs need to be updated with recent developments and upcoming trends all the time. So, I decided to craft a broad-level checklist defining the areas that are prone to regular updates. Broadly speaking, these areas include everything ranging from ID strategies to ID blogs.

In the checklist, I also made reservations about specifying the next due date at which I'm suppose to explore the web for updates, recording/listing these updates, and specifying the relevant links for accessing background information.

I know that by only reading and recording the latest developments will take me half-way through my learning target. To complete the learning process, it is necessary for me to register other's eye-opening perspectives and experiences to my checklist and then ensure implementation of the learning in the upcoming, relevant projects.

For example, after reading loads of information about the difference between formal and informal writing styles/tones (check my blog: Formal and Informal Tone), I:

1. recorded the key point in my checklist.
2. provided the links I liked the most.
3. discussed the learning with my peers and friends. As a result of discussion, I can see a clear demarcation between the two styles.
4. finally, incorporate my learning in real life by suggesting an appropriate writing style to my next client backed by a solid reasoning.

And I know, I still need to update it - as not all best opinions are captured yet. So, send me your opinions on the Formal and Informal Tone post.

This way, I tried to make most out of the checklist and ensure it has the ingredients that will keep pulling me back on the next due date :)

Frens, I'll upload my version of the Checklist at 05:00 pm IST on Apr. 26. 2007. In the meantime, why don't you guys create your checklists?

Once mine is uploaded, we can map our checklists and see how close we are - as IDs and creative professionals.

As always, I appreciate your time and warmly welcome your opinion(s).

No comments: